Sat, 02 Sept|
Helmsley Walled Garden
Four Seasons of Herbal Remedies ~ Autumn 2023
The use of herbs as natural remedies is as old as time. Our understanding of their therapeutic properties has expanded across centuries and continents, yet our fascination with them remains. This full day workshop will guide you through a multisensory experience of seasonal herbs and remedy making.
Time & Location
02 Sept 2023, 10:00 – 16:00 BST
Helmsley Walled Garden, Cleveland Way, Helmsley, York YO62 5AH, UK
About the Event
The use of herbs as natural remedies is as old as time. Our understanding of their therapeutic properties has expanded across centuries and continents, yet our fascination with them remains.
Join Meghan Rhodes, qualified herbal medicine practitioner and founder of Rhodes Roots & Remedies, on a full day workshop as she guides you through a multisensory experience of seasonal herbs and remedy making.
We'll explore the therapeutic properties of a selection of herbs through three traditional hands-on methods:
- Organoleptics - Like learning the skill of wine tasting, this is a fascinating process of understanding a herb's medicinal properties through the senses of taste and smell.
- The Doctrine of Signatures - We'll venture into Helmsley's beautiful physic garden to explore herbs as the Ancient Greeks did, by using the senses of sight and touch to tease out affinities different plants have to various aspects of our wellbeing.
- In the Apothecary - Step into the world of mortars and pestles, tinctures and salves, as we create a herbal remedy together for you to take with you at the end of the day.
We'll also discuss the history of herbal medicine, alongside plenty of time for Q&A throughout.
On the day, you'll receive a course booklet that contains plant profiles of the herbs we cover and step by step instructions for the remedies we make.
'The seasonal workshops are a brilliant introduction for anyone interested in herbs, herbalism and medicinal plants. The workshop exceeded all of my expectations - so much so, I booked the on to the next one there and then! Meghan is so knowledgeable, approachable and informed in all things. The workshop is also a very hands-on experience. I loved every minute and can't wait for the next one. The setting is beautiful too. I would whole heartedly recommend for anyone considering.' ~ Melanie
This workshop is one of a series of four taking place each season at the stunning Helmsley Walled Garden. Each workshop can be taken on its own or in combination with any or all of the other seasons. There is a discounted rate for booking the three remaining seasons for 2023 in advance (summer, autumn, winter), so do be sure to purchase your preferred ticket option.
Course dates on offer in 2023 include:
- Summer - Saturday, 8 July 10am - 4pm
- Autumn - Saturday, 2 Sept 10am - 4pm
- Winter - Saturday, 11 Nov 10am - 4pm
N.B. All information reviewed in this course is based on traditional uses and practices for personal use and is not in any way intended to provide medical advice or substitute for diagnosis or prescriptions from medical practitioners.